Wednesday, October 3, 2012

{body} White Pork Chili

I hate being sick. I used to never get sick (at least not the typical colds and flus)...until I came to pharmacy school. Now I feel like I am sick every other week. I think it's because my brain is so focused on the material in class and then I stay up studying till around midnight every night. Now that doesn't seem late to most of you night owls but then I wake up around 5:30 am. I am an eight - ten hour of sleep a night girl. That is how I function! So this whole pharmacy school thing is messing with my beauty sleep.


This soup is the perfect cure for the sicklings in the world. It is very easy to make and is just as good as the typical chicken noodle soup. It has the mexican flare that you all know I love to add to my recipes. This soup will warm your soul and fix you up in no time flat!


The recipe originally calls for chicken "White Chicken Chili" but we made a pork roast in the crockpot for pork tacos early that week and have TONS of leftovers. If you haven't discovered the $3.99 pork roast at your grocery store...check it out! It is so cheap and will feed you for DAYS! It is amazing too because all you do is sear it in a pan and then pop it in the crockpot. It should be illegal how easy it is to make.


Make this soup on a rainy day, when you are feeling sick/sad/lonely/happy, or on a chilly night. It is sure to make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I promise!


White Chicken (or Pork) Chili
Recipe credit: How to Simplify Blog

Ingredients:
   1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
   1 medium onion, diced
   2 cups cooked chicken (I used shredded pork I made in the crockpot earlier, most people posted that they used rotisserie chicken to save time), shredded
   2 cans Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
   1 can corn, drained
   1 can (4 ounces) green chilies
   1/2 teaspoon cumin
   1/2 teaspoon oregano
   1 box (32 ounces) chicken broth
   Kosher salt (to taste)
   Pepper (to taste)
   1 lime, juice

Directions:
1.       In a large pot, saute the onion and cook until it starts to become translucent.
2.            Once the onion is done, add shreds of chicken, Great Northern Beans, corn, green chilies (with juice from can), cumin and oregano to the large pot. Stir to combine all of the ingredients and then add the chicken broth.
3.            Bring to a boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes to allow the broth to reduce. Add salt and pepper (to taste) and juice from one whole lime. (You can add 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro if you desire. I personally don't like cilantro so I serve it as a side.)
4.            Leave simmering on stove until ready to serve.

*Serve with sour cream, chopped cilantro, shredded Pepper Jack cheese, avocado or tortilla chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment