Saturday, August 25, 2012

{recipe} Turkey Meatloaf Muffins


I love cooking but not when I have to cook for one. For some reason if I have to cook for myself I end up making a PB&J and call it a night. It is very difficult to portion size and create a good meal for one person. So my roommate and I decided we are going to do family meals three times a week. Which means I can come up with healthy and easy meals for two! I think cooking for two is a great skill but sometimes difficult when most recipes are made for 4-6 people.

When cooking on a budget you buy in bulk when things are on sale, freeze, and meal plan. I ended up getting a pound ground turkey breast for $1.98. It was a steal! So naturally I bought 2 packages and froze them in 1/2 pound portions. They are perfect for quick defrosting and throwing into weeknight meal. 

When I made a meal plan for the next two weeks, meatloaf was on my mind. Meatloaf is something that reminds me of my mom. She makes the best meatloaf muffins and it one of my favorite meals. I decided to lighten up my mom's meatloaf by using turkey instead of ground beef. I also added some mexican flair by adding cumin to the mix. If you don't know this about me by now - I love mexican food. I cook a lot of it at home and love a good mexican meal out! So I am constantly adding mexican flavors or cooking with mexican ingredients at home. Healthy mexican? Yes please!

This meatloaf is was so moist and guilt free. It hit the spot after a long day of studying. Healthy comfort food is the best. Make this soon!

Turkey Meatloaf Muffins
Recipe adapted from Fanny Farmer Cookbook
Makes 4 Meatloaf Muffins

Ingredients:
1/2 lb ground turkey breast
1/4 yellow onion, diced
1/4 green pepper, diced
1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
4 TBS soy milk
1 egg
1 TBS dijon mustard
3/4 tsp garlic powder
3/4 tsp basil
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp rosemary
1/4 tsp thyme 
1/2 tsp light brown sugar.

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  
2. Saute onion and green pepper in olive oil over medium heat until translucent. Cool before adding to ground turkey. 
3. Combine bread crumbs and milk. Stir until combined. Add to ground turkey.
4. Add remaining ingredients to the turkey and mix until combined.
5. Spray a muffin with nonstick spray and separate the mixture into 4 equal muffins. 
6. Bake for 35 minutes and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment