Saturday, May 5, 2012

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

This is by far one of my favorite holidays. I love anything and everything mexican. Its true, most of the dishes I make at home and the drinks I drink are mexican inspired. I am what you call a mexican-junkie.



Over the past couple years, cinco de mayo has become a huge holiday among my friends. Boating, bubba kegs, island hoping, and sun. Its the holiday we look forward to most after a long year of school - Cinco de drinko. Yes, this holiday has a lot of historical meaning but we use it as a celebration of good friends, food, and drinks. Its a holiday were the only stress is running out of limes or getting sunburned. Its a holiday were you just stop and relax. Like I said - it's my favorite.

I hope you all enjoy a fantastic holiday! Eat great food, drink a margarita, and lay in the sun with friends! Here is a recipe to my favorite margarita - the Mandarita. Its perfect by the pool or beach any day of the week!

The Mandarita

Ingredients
1 can of frozen raspberry lemonade concentrate
1 can of tequila
1 can of sprite
Ice (depending on if concentrate is thawed)
Salt
Lime wedges

Directions
1. Empty frozen concentrate into blender. Use empty can to measure tequila and sprite. Add ice if needed.
2. Blend until frothy.
3. Use lime wedge to coat rim of a margarita glass. Coat the rim by dipping the glass into plate with salt.
4. Pour margarita into the glass and enjoy!


This year I am celebrating this wonderful holiday in Texas with my family. My dad and I went to this local mexican meat market called La Azteca. Its a local market that sells mexican products, produce, baked goods and marinated meats. IT IS DELICIOUS. The moment you walk into the market you can smell the freshly baked goods, cilantro, and delicious cooked meats. 





My dad picked up marinated fajita steak and chicken. Tonight, we are making fresh steak tacos on homemade tortillas! We made our own salsa and guacamole too! My little sister Lauren works at Chipotle, and she whipped up some delicious secret recipes, she didn't tell me the recipe so I just had to watch her make it! Sneakyyyy! Below are a loose versions of the classics!

Lauren's (chipotle mock style) Guacamole


Ingredients:
4 Avocados
Cilantro to taste
1 TBS Salt
1 cup Red Onion
1/3 cup Lime Juice

Directions:
1. Put lime juice and salt in the bottom of the bowl before you put in the avocados.
2. Cut the avocados in half and scoop out the inside. Make sure you use ripe avocados!
3. Mince the red onion. Add to the avocado mixture. Mix well.
4. Add cilantro to the mixture and loosely mix in. 
5. Enjoy with some chips and salsa!


Mom's Pico de Gallo


Ingredients:
Roma Tomatoes
Red Onion
Kosher Salt 
Cilantro
Lime Juice

Directions:
1. Seed and dice the tomatoes.
2. Dice the red onion.
3. Chop the cilantro.
4. Add equal parts cilantro, onion, and tomato into a bowl and mix well.
5. Add lime juice and salt to the mixture.
6. Enjoy!


Have a great holiday! Ole!
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment