I'm so hungry.
There is nothing in this house to eat.
I don't want to cook.
There are always days when nothing sounds better than take out. Who can beat sitting on your couch, in your pajamas, eating Chinese food from your favorite take out restaurant?
Well, this is the meal you want to make when you don't want to cook. Its super easy and takes about 30 minutes to make!
We are moving out of our house at the end of the month so its operation "freezer meals". Which means we are trying to use everything out of our pantry, fridge, and freezer to make delicious meals.
This is recreating one of my favorite Chinese take out meals without all of the extra calories and sodium that you would get at your favorite chinese restaurant.
First, marinate chicken tenderlions in soy sauce, garlic, hoisin sauce, honey, and ground ginger. Marinate in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
Chop into bite sized pieces and add to a pre-heated wok with 1 Tbsp of oil. Cook chicken pieces until no longer pink.
For the sauce: 2 Tbsp of hoisin sauce, 1 Tbsp of chili sauce, 2 Tbsp of soy sauce, 1 Tbsp honey, 1/2 tsp ground ginger, 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, 1/2 tsp black pepper, and 1/4 cup of chicken stock. Add 1 Tbsp of cornstarch if the sauce needs to be thicker. Reserve sauce in a separate bowl.
When chicken is cooked through, add sauce and broccoli to the wok.
If using frozen broccoli, pre-cook in a saucepan for about 5 minutes or until bright green. Drain and then add to the wok with the sauce.
Cook for about 2-3 minutes to allow the sauce to coat the broccoli and chicken. Serve over brown rice and enjoy a nice take out dinner without changing out of your pajamas!
Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
adapted from allrecipes.com
Serves about 4
6-8 chicken tenderloins
1 bag frozen broccoli
1 Tbsp garlic, minced
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp of hoisin sauce
1 Tbsp of chili sauce
2 Tbsp of soy sauce
1 Tbsp honey
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup of chicken stock
1 Tbsp of cornstarch
1. Marinate chicken in soy sauce, honey, garlic, and ground ginger. Marinate for about 30 minutes.
2. Pre-Cook frozen broccoli for about 3-4 minutes or until bright green in a sauce pan. Drain and reserve on the side.
3. Mix in a small bowl: soy sauce, hoisin sauce, chili sauce, chicken stock, ground ginger, pepper, red pepper flakes, honey, garlic, and corn starch. Reserve on the side.
4. Cut marinated chicken into bite sized pieces. Add 1 Tbsp of olive oil and chicken pieces to a pre heated wok. Cook about 7-9 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink.
5. Once chicken is cooked through, add sauce and broccoli to the wok. Cook for about 3-4 minutes.
6. Serve over brown rice.