Who said when you diet you have to eat cardboard? I say you should eat the best you ever have on a diet. Eat cheese. Lots of it. Its good for you. They don't teach it to you in diet school...but it's true. My motto is eat that cookie now and you will die happy.
Well if you don't believe me that you can eat cheesy stuffed goodness and still be healthy then you haven't met this Chicken Rollatini. Chicken stuffed with spinach, mozzerella, and ricotta cheese oozing out of the middle. Then covered with the most delicious marinara sauce (super easy and cheap!) as well as a big whopping piece of mozzarella cheese?
I have died and gone to diet heaven.
This amazing moist, saucy, cheesy concoction is only 194 calories and 5 Points+! It is almost sinful when eating it. I felt guilty for all those other dieters eating horse food.
Put down the bran flakes and make this. You will not be disappointed.
Chicken Rollatini with Spinach and Ricotta
makes about 8 servings.
adapted from Gina's Skinny Recipes
4 chicken breasts butterflied and halved (or use 8 chicken cutlets)
1/2 cup whole wheat Italian seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
3 eggs, whites only
5 oz frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed
6 Tbsp part skim ricotta cheese
10 oz part skim mozzarella cheese
olive oil non stick spray
1 cup marinara sauce
1. Wash and dry chicken breast halves. Pound chicken breast halves thinly. Spray a casserole dish with olive oil spray. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Combine bread crumbs and 2 tbsp of parmesan cheese together in a shallow dish and 2 egg whites in another shallow dish. (used for breading)
3. Shred 1/4 of the mozzarella cheese and combine the remaining parmesan cheese, spinach, 1 egg white and ricotta cheese. Mix together.
4. Lay pounded chicken breast half down and spread 2 Tbsp of spinach mixture on top of the chicken. Loosely roll the chicken breast up and place seem down in the casserole dish.
5. Dip in egg whites then in bread crumb mixture. Repeat with the remaining chicken breasts. Then spray the top of the chicken rolls with olive oil spray.
6. Bake for 25 minutes uncovered. Remove and add marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese. Put back in the oven until the cheese is bubbly and melted.